Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Flaming Skull with Horns

I'm in between projects and decided to paint up a little flaming skull.  This is a small painting and the skull is about 3 inches wide.
Click on Photos for a Better View.
 
 
Because I didn't want to spend too much time planning out this quick painting, I mapped out the skull using a small stencil and some white paint.  I then went back over it with transparent red. 
 
 
Then I added some more flame work with a mixture of white and yellow, also building up some of the facial features. 
 
 
After my compressor died on me and a few days later, I picked up my Micron and went back at it again.  I coated the entire piece with florescent orange and then went back in adding more layers of my yellow/white mixture, transparent yellow glazes and more white highlights.  Then, finally, I coated the entire black background and glazed into the flame work, but not going into the yellow areas with a transparent cobalt blue.  I avoided the yellow areas because the blue would have made those areas green and I didn't want a green hue to my painting.  The cobalt blue glaze gave it the blue, purple and red glow around the outside. 
 
Hope you like it!  I had fun doing this one as it was done freehand with no shields.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment