Saturday, January 26, 2013

Leopard "Morning Sip"

Click on Picture to Get a Better View.

Today, I glazed over the leopard with some detail yellow ochre and added some more to the darkest shadows of the cat.   Then I went back over some of the whitest areas and scratched in more hair.
I painted the cat's tongue with detail Driscoll's skin tone, a touch of detail crimson and little white to get the shade I needed. The cat in the reference picture had very light eyes with a tint of a celery green color around the pupils. So I took detail moss green and added a little detail white and got the color I needed. The detail sepia I had originally shaded the cat's eyes with was the perfect color so I left it alone.
Then, OMG I thought I was going to have a frickin heart failure putting those DxxM wiskers on! I'm thinking that this is where I Fxxk it up. It took me over an hour to get them right.

Il est fini! (It is finished!)

Leopard Progress

Click on Picture for a Better View
More progress on the Leopard - "Morning Sip" painting. 
Tonight, I went back over the leopard's spots darkening them and the dark areas of the cat's eyes.  Then, I added more shading.  After that I scratched in the fur texture.  So far, it's coming along nicely.  I think I am totally amazing myself.  I just didn't know that I could create something this nice.  I am real happy with it and loving my Micron airbrush.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Click on Picture for a Better View.
Tonight I started working on the shadows of the ripples in the water area.  Adding more texture underneath the water.  I still have to darken the water on the right side of the cat's head. 
Click on Picture for a Better View.
So, I came back in and darkend the shades of the ripples and along side the cat's head.  I also took care of the white haze along the cat's head near the water.  Then I started to darken the spots on the cat's coat and deepend the contrast in the eyes, nose and ears.  I still have to bring the cat's spots darker and shade the cat further.  Then I will start on the texture of the fur.  Still going slow. 

Wednesday, January 23, 2013


This picture is a printout of my reference picture from which my current project is being painted.  This photograph was from National Geographic by Jaque Pierre Joubert. 
Click on Picture for Better View.
I started mapping out the picture with Wicked detail sepia, a couple days ago.  I am using my new Micron CMC-Plus airbrush on gesso'd canvas.  This leopard has way too many spots and I got lost in the painting trying to capture them all.  So, its not an exact duplicate of the photograph.  But, that's okay, I hope to learn something from this painting.   
Click on Picture for a Better View.
So, tonight, I started working on the water area.  I created some texture underneath the water with my electric eraser.  I then added some color with a mixture of detail cobalt blue, detail blue violet and detail raw umber.  I worked on the ripples by painting the color mixture over the already painted in ripples on the right side.  I will be continuing with darker shades building the water to a very dark shade of almost black revealing only slight texture along the right side of the cat.   Building texture, color and shading.  Going slow with this one.  So far so good! 

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dragon by Josh Seaman ("Seamonkey")

This is an awesome video by Josh Seaman.  First he does a short review of his new Sata brush and then proceeds to paint this fierce dragaon.  You won't be dissappointed!  So watch it already!!

Friday, January 18, 2013

Owl - Finished

Click on Picture for a better view. 
Whoo hooo, so here we are, the painting is done.  I think it came out great!  My first one done with my new Iwata Micron CMC-Plus.  The painting was completed in about a total of 11 hours. 
Special thanks to the gang at for their encouragement and tips.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Owl in Tree

Click on picture for a better view. 
This is my recent project.  The picture on the left is my reference.  I have painted the owl and then proceeded with painting the bark. 
Click on picture for a better view.
Here I have sketched in the bark of the tree with detail sepia.
Click on picture for a better view.
Last night I added some more detail in the feathers and highlights in the eyes.  Then I worked more on the bark of the tree adding in the darker color to create depth in the texture.
Check back for more progress!

Flaming Skulls

Click on pictures for a better view.
These are some flaming skulls I recently painted.  The first two were done with my Iwata Eclipse brush and the last one was done with my Iwata Micron.  They were all painted with Wicked paint on multi-media art paper.  They started out with stencils and then worked freehand from there. 

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Spirits of Christmas - Finished

Here is the finish painting I did for the Twisted Christmas challenge.
It was good fun and all three entries won prizes.