Friday, April 25, 2014

Hood Project - The Fan Club - On Car

I thought I'd post up a picture of the finished hood on the car.  The owner installed the FORD letters and hood pins. 

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cheshire Cat - Continued

Click on Picture for a Better View
I decided to work on the tree that the cat is sitting on.  Still not done with it as you can see. 
I first started adding in some sepia (light brown) to give some variation in color to the bark.  Then I came back over it with some more detail in paynes gray.  Erasing and glazing as I went to get the texture of the bark in there.  To be continued...

Friday, April 11, 2014

Cheshire Cat - Continued

I did a bit more tonight. Still working on the background. There is a little more detail in the tree just behind the cat and lots of texture in the grassy area bottom right. For those who want to know, I work a layer of paint, then erase back my white areas. Paying attention to the cats fur. The light source in the picture is behind the cat upper left, so the cat has quite a bit of backlighting. (The cats fur around his head, back and tail will be lit up by the light source and I need to preserve the white) No stencils or shields have been used yet, all freehand.
Click on the Picture for a Better View.

Cheshire Cat - Continued

Here's a little more, still working on the background.  Keeping everything light and out of focus.  Adding textures.
Click on Picture for a Better View. 

Monday, April 7, 2014

Cheshire Cat - Continued

Tonight I finished mapping out the composition and started to work on building the background in the upper left corner.  I also started to build the fur texture in the cat.  This is done layer by layer to build a nice depth in it. 
Click on the Picture for a Better View. 

Cheshire Cat

My daughter asked me to paint Tim Burton's Cheshire Cat for her bedroom wall.  This project is being done on gesso'd canvas with Wicked paints.  24" x 36"
So the process begins:
I have given the canvas three coats of gesso which were sanded lightly in between each coat.  Then I drew out the composition lightly in pencil and erased lightly so that the pencil lines won't show through.  I mixed up a little paynes gray, blue, colorless base and reducer to match up the background color and then began to lightly paint the composition in.  No details here just getting the design down.

Click on the Picture to get a Better View.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Fan Club - Hood Project

This is a hood to a Ford Pinto that I was commissioned to paint over the winter.  I just recently finished it.  So here are the progress pictures. 
Click on the Pictures for a Better View. 


 Cleaning and sanding the clear coat. 
 Base coated the hood with Auto Air sealer base coat and black. 

The starting of the graphics.  Mapping out the composition. 

All clear coated!

That's me holding the finished project.  Whoo hoo.. all done! 

Catching Up - Mailbox Project

Here is a mailbox that I painted up.  First I drew up some skull characters and incorporated the interests of my family members in each one.  All painted with Wicked and then clear coated. 
I still have to pin stripe the numbers. 
Click on the Pictures for a Better View.